Great news! Starting on January 1, 2020, the Utah State courts have added a feature to their e-filing manager that allows them to send attorneys of record additional notifications regarding the activity on a case. These notifications include events such as:
- Filings submitted and filed by self-represented litigants in paper over the counter.
- Signed orders or other documents filed by the court, and not through the e-filing system.
- Hearing date notifications.
These notifications will be in addition to the normal Notice of Electronic Filing (NEF) notifications you receive when new documents are e-filed on cases where you are an attorney or record.
Important Tidbits Regarding These New Notifications
- Arrival Times: The court generates these new notifications ONCE a day, typically around 10 p.m.
- One Notice Per Case: Each notification is per case. You will only receive one notification email, regardless of the number of events or filings that may have occurred on the case.
- Email Format and Delivery: Just like normal NEFs, the court will deliver a copy of the NEF directly to the attorney of record by email, and additionally deliver a copy of the NEF to Green Filing as your EFSP. As a courtesy, Green Filing will then generate our own email alerting you to the case activity to both the attorney of record, and any authorizing support staff for that attorney.
- Attachments to Emails: These emails WILL NOT contain attachments as the Court is not providing copies of documents for new court events, and sometimes new court events are not actual documents. As such, recipients will need to click the case number in the email to view the Case Summary on Green Filing and look for the latest events.
Tip: If you do not see new events, click the REFRESH link in the upper right hand corner of the screen to force Green Filing to query the court for the latest case information.
- Controlling Email Volume: These new notifications will increase your overall volume of notifications per case. If for any reason you find the notification volume burdensome, there are some things you may want to look into.
- Update your e-filing account settings by clicking Settings at the top of our application, and then User Preferences from the left menu to adjust your email preferences.
- If your firm forwards every attorney and staff member a copy of each notification, you may want to revisit that practice as well.
If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to us via live chat or phone.