These instructions are to Initiate a New Case; meaning this case is brand new, and does not exist yet in any court. If a case already exists in the court system, you will want to File on an Existing Case.
Scroll down for more detailed instructions.
From the Dashboard, click Initiate a New Case
- Select the Court & Case Type.
- Select your Document Type and enter a Remainder of Title. Then click the Click to Upload link to add your document.
- Enter your New Case Parties as required by the court.
- Enter your Complaint Amount if applicable.
- Select or enter a Payment Method to pay court filing fees.
- Enter any Additional Information that the court requires for this filing type.
- Select the Filing Attorney if necessary, review all information for accuracy, and Submit Filing.
Initiate a New Case
- Select Court and Case Type – Choose the court location and case type to file your new case.
If you have a question as to the court to select, please refer to Utah’s Case Initiation Business Rules for General Civil, Domestic, and Probate PDF here for more information.
- Add Documents – Define, select, and upload the documents that make up your filing.
- Select the Document Type: The list of documents you see available in the Document Type field is prescribed by the Court. If you don’t see the specific document type you are looking for then you’ll need to select the document type that most closely matches, or is somewhat generic in nature. If you enter some of the Document Type name in its form field, you will filter your choices down (ie. type ‘Petition’ to see petition choices). Some courts provide an option like “Other”, “Other Document Not Listed” or “Document – Other” which may work for you as well.
- Enter the Remainder of Title: After making your selection, type the true document title in the document description field.
- Click the Click to Upload link to add your document. We’ll automatically convert most native file formats (i.e. Word, WordPerfect, JPG, PNG, GIF, TIF) into the Court’s preferred Adobe PDF format, upon upload.
Once you add the document, you can click the Edit button to edit a description, delete a document, replace a document, or add an attachment.
- New Case Parties – Each case type you choose has required parties that must be defined. You may add more parties by clicking the Add Parties link at the bottom of this section, but you must still have the court’s required roles in order to file.
- Enter your Complaint Amount, Jury Demand, or Default Tier if applicable.
- Select or enter a Payment Method to pay court filing fees. If there aren’t any cards available, click the Add New Card link.
- Enter any Additional Information that the court requires for this filing type. Anything with a red asterisk is required.
- Review & Submit – Finalize your filing, review, and submit.
- If you are Filing for an Attorney, select them from the menu. You may also Add Additional Attorneys.
- If your firm uses any sort of Client Matter No, enter it here.
- If you want an unofficial copy of the filing to go to anyone associated with the case, like a client, enter their email(s) in the Courtesy Email Notice field.
- Review your entire filing for accuracy, and check the Verify box to acknowledge you have reviewed it.
Click the Submit Filing button to send your filing to the court.
Congratulations! You have Initiated a New Case. The court will soon email you with a response. You can always go to the Filing Status page at any time to see where any filing stands.